I think I just had my first encounter with the reality of the baking and pâtisserie world. As I'm here I have been scrambling trying to find an opportunity to learn how to make pâtisseries ... that fits my student budget :) Well, I met a pâtissier who had encouraged me that they would teach me; and kind of out of the blue, they've just disappeared and are unreachable with a vague email that it may or may not happen anymore. It's a little discouraging because my hopes were already wavering and then shot up because I was given the impression there would be lessons. Well, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anymore, so I'm disappointed but that's how it goes.
I think it has more to deal with that the pâtissier does not want to share recipes, which would have to have happened if I were to receive lessons since I don't know how to make them yet at this point. I sensed this when I first mentioned the recipes and there was an awkward response followed by subsequent awkwardness ...
I can understand this to a great extent because your trade is something you have to protect and it's a skill that's taken years to develop. But if I were put in this pâtissier's position though, I'd just be honest and say, "Look, I can give you ideas and give basic help, but I can't share recipes because this is how I feed myself" AND more importantly, I wouldn't get someone's hopes up.
I'm disappointed, but I'm not giving up. It just means I have to not store my les oeufs in one basket, as I did with this ... and I just have to shift gears into another approach. If there's one skill that people who love to cook and bake have, is they can smell and taste the ingredients of a product; they know what is good quality versus what needs work; and basic tastes and textures in a dessert or cake stick out... I wasn't expecting this to be easy. I just have to shift gears, which may involve my budget and shorten what has been a lovely trip thus far...
No comments:
Post a Comment